Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Dealing with the chill

So we're Illinoisans now and all so we're experiencing Autumn for the first time ever and it's quite a bit chillier than the type of fall we're used to. I haven't seen a temperature above 46 degrees in over a week and for the past few mornings have had to scrape ice off the car before being able to drive to the train station to drop off Chris. Don't take that as a complaint ~ indeed, the scraping off of ice from the car is a chore that is fought over in our house due to how new an quaint it is to get to (have to) scrape ice off a windshield before driving. What fun! What a new and interesting task to have to accomplish each morning before driving one's car.

We anticipate that we will have our first snow before the month is up. I'm so nervous. Will I be able to drive in it? Who decides if it's "too much snow" to go into work or be driving on the roads? And how do we find out? Do they say so on the tv? I'm not sure at all because I never watch tv.  I mean, as I understand it, people here go to work regardless of the snow. That never happens in Texas. If it snows or is icy on the roads, everything is shut down. So here, when it snows, I'm meant to behave as if all is normal and fine and take Chris to the train and make sure Colin gets on his bus just like always. I think.

Chelsea told us that she didn't notice the ice on her windshield when she first got to her car after work late one night. She gets off at 10pm and has quite a drive home. She said she got in her car and "noticed that her window was fogged up" so, like any Texan, she flipped on her windshield wipers which didn't do anything but scrape across the windshield. So she squirted water from her windshield wiper fluids onto her windshield to attempt to clear it but the water turned to ice and formed a new layer making it thicker than before.  This is when it dawned on her that it was not fog, but indeed, it was ice. And she turned on her defrost and waited. That's the modus operandi. Patience.

This winter I will learn to knit socks. I'm practically ready right now and will very likely be taking up the needles today to begin my first pair. I want to do the "two at once" method in order to get both finished at the same time and in the hopes that they turn out pretty similar if not matching. I'm learning the "toe-up" method. I don't have a long circular needle though so I'm going to attempt it on DPNs. Wishing for all the luck in the world!

In other news, I just got a new Pampered Chef catalog from one of my neighbors who sells Pampered Chef stuff! Yay! I want everything!! Just need a job and some money and all that is in this catalog can be mine.

I had a phone interview last week and I'm hoping for a face-to-face interview to follow it up. I felt like the questions were worded in such a way that I had to offer more explanation than answer and I don't like tripping over my words as much as that. I like things to be more conversational. Here's hoping for a second chance.

Off to prepare for our election day party tonight - family only, baked goods and soda pop! You can't beat that!

LOVE ~



No comments: