Friday, January 4, 2008

A Cigar of My Own

I smoked a whole cigar by myself today. It's a wonder that I was by myself because this never happens for me. Living in a small apartment with three other people who have busy lives, alone time is a precious rarity. So I was alone and there was this cigar...

Partly out of curiosity and partly out of a sort of dirty greed I sat and puffed away at my very own kahlua flavored cigar and practiced blowing the smoke out of my mouth in various ways.

We aren't smokers generally so I had to get a blue glass cereal bowl to use as my ash tray.

Here's what I know about smoking cigars.

1. Obviously, the first rule, don't inhale. So what's the point?
2. There's no really sexy position to hold a cigar as a woman.
3. I can't blow smoke rings but there was no one around to laugh at my attempts.
4. It's only fun for a little while. Then it's like you're committed to this cigar and it doesn't taste so good towards the end.
5. Cigar smoke lingers in your house requiring additional airing out of the place.
6. You have a nice calm feeling about you while sitting there engaged in the activity of simply smoking a cigar. My mind wandered all over the place and I found myself visiting thoughts I hadn't thunk in ages. I literally feel as if the cobwebs were dusted from my mind.
7. Cigars get hot inside near the burning end. Also, the closer you get towards the end the more bitter the smoke tastes as you loll it about in your mouth.
8. I have the slightest tinge of a headache now and a terrible taste in my mouth.

My final thoughts on the matter are that I'm probably not going to be a regular cigar smoker. However, on occasion, why not?

In other news, Chris quit his job today. We're going out to happy hour to celebrate. Tomorrow we're having another couple over for shrimp risotto and bar hopping after the kids go to bed. Sunday I'm taking Chelsea to breakfast and we may catch a movie. I'm ready for the weekend!
Peace.

1 comment:

Maria del Carmen Montoya said...

well as the great Freud once said, "Gentlemen, sometimes a cigar is only a cigar." However, sometimes it is so much more...

1. it gives a fabulous combinatory odor- i recommend following a good smoke with a stick or two of nag champa to create the scent of a masculine poet's den, no really try it!

2. i beg to differ - there are PLENTY of sexy ways a woman can hold a cigar.

3. It is like life, there are a lot of things that are fun at first and then you find you're committed to his cigar...