Saturday, January 12, 2008

the Mad Potter

Today I painted some pottery at The Mad Potter. The first time I ever saw one of these "paint-your-own-ceramic" places was in Kansas City the first time I ever went to visit my aunt in my life. And it was just 4 years ago. I know!

So some friends planned this trip and it was a great idea. I walked around looking at all the chalky white plates, bowls, vases, piggy banks, and tiles. All kinds of choices loomed before me. I kept picking up a serving platter over and over again. It had so much potential, just like everything else sitting on the shelf unpainted. The platter was $35.00 and I had no idea what I wanted on it so I kept putting it down as well.

Then I saw it! A toothbrush caddy! What a great idea. Our toothbrushes just lie around on the bathroom counter and we could stand them upright in a perfect little caddy. I do know toothbrush caddy's exist in the world. I've just never liked one enough to commit to purchasing it. Therefore, there is no such caddy in my bathroom. Right beside this there was a soap dish so I grabbed that too. Chris was dropping me off and said he wanted something designy on it. At first I was thinking sun flowers but in the end - this is what we got.

Secretly I kinda love it. I know the painting isn't perfect or anything, and it looks like a 5 year old painted it, but I don't care. That's the best damned toothbrush caddy ever and if they had just ever had one in the store that looked like that, I would have bought it.

In other news, I might have lupus. My dermatologist did a biopsy on an itchy mole I got on my face in the last month or so and it came back positive for lupus. So they did a second biopsy on the same spot which turned out the same. Monday I'll go in for blood work. I haven't mentioned this to my family or friends yet (so if you're a family member or a friend - now you know...) because I'm waiting to see what the blood work says. I don't know much about this disease except that if I've got it, I've got the "discoid" kind. However, discoid lupus can, for no known reason, turn into systemic lupus - which people die from. Since that's such a downer I've been trying to not think about it until they are sure.

Happy Weekend!!
PEACE

No comments: