Sunday, June 22, 2008

This Crazy Life

Colin has come home from summer camp. After dropping him off last weekend, Chris and I were a little despondent from his absence and hopeful that he was having a wonderful time. We needn't have worried at all because within a day we could see photos of the campers and keep up with what activities they were involved in every day of the camp. Colin's smiling face showed up in every photo set and he had a blast. He wants to go back next year so that's the plan.

Something weird is going on at work and it's had me twisted up in knots all weekend. I don't really want to voice my fears as they are likely irrational and unfounded and I think I'll find out what it is that is going on on Wednesday because there's a special meeting on Wednesday that I have to announce tomorrow morning to everyone. I've been trying to not think about it so that all the gruesome possibilities that spring to mind will subside until I find out for sure what is happening in our division. I'll post again to follow up on that later this week.

Chris and I got the first light bill for the new rent house yesterday and were astonished and horrified. $349. That's more than my car payment. I had a feeling it would be bad like that with all the windows in this house. We plan to build frames for them and stretch some fabric around them to shade the windows for the remainder of the time we live here.

We also found out that our back yard turns into a 6-inch deep swamp when it rains. We hadn't experienced a big rain yet until this weekend and the yard was a huge disappointment. I certainly hope it doesn't rain for the 4th of July because that's the date of our big party. We are having a lot of people over - I believe about 18 people (not including those who live here.) The menu for that day includes frisbee golf for early arrivals, swimming for all in the community pool, grilling and Street View fajitas, watermelon, all the beer we can drink, sangria, and fireworks over Clear Lake. It should be fun.

On the way home from Trinity, TX after dropping Colin off at camp we decided to stop to see the scenic overlook of the Lake Livingston Dam. We were directed by this sign which pointed the way to the Dam Liquor Store. We found that the Dam Liquor Store was a tiny little hole in the wall place with a great name. Way to go Dam Liquor Store. And nice sign.










Here is the scenic overlook of the Livingston Dam. It was pretty. I expected to see something more lengthy and enormous sort of like the Hoover Dam that we would get to cross or something like that. But no. It was really just a beautiful day and a view of the lake.








Also on the way home, once we got back to Houston, we passed this truck full of wrestlers on the freeway. They were more than happy to demonstrate their wrestling skills once they knew they were on camera but this is the best shot of all of them with their masks on. Que rico - as they say. It doesn't get richer than that.

No comments: