Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I've been thinking a lot about goals for the new year and resolutions. It's still early in the year so I'll post some of my ideas here. First of all I have to admit that I only have about a 20% success rate on keeping new years resolutions so I prefer to refer to things I want to be successful with as 'goals.'

I'm a great goal setter! I really do set reasonable, measurable goals for myself that can be broken down into smaller steps that can track my progress towards my goal. I'm also working on some goals for the year. However, this year I'm actually going to make some resolutions. These are things that just don't have steps that can be taken to reach the goal.

First of all, I resolve to stop plucking out my gray hairs. This used to be a great denial method when I was younger and I would [gasp] find the random gray hair. Pluck! and gone. But now? Now I fear I may suffer from thinning hair if I keep this up. I will just have to learn to live with and love my gray hairs just as must as my brown ones or deal with them in another way. Dyes perhaps. Or highlights. Or maybe a super short hair cut? But I can't keep pulling them out so I've got to stop.

Second of all, I resolve to stop cursing like a sailor. I have a problem and I want to make an attempt at sounding more lady like. I used to use foul language just when expressing my most passionate opinions especially involving anger, but I've gotten so bad that I curse even when I'm excited and happy now. ~ sigh~ so I've got to watch my mouth. This includes speaking negatively aloud. I'm going to really try to make an effort to follow the wisdom "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Except to my sister to whom I shall not give up bitching rights - I mean, the right to gripe.

I also have goals coming about how many books I want to read this year and how much debt I want to pay off and how much I plan to reduce my carbon footprint and what acts of charity and service I will perform this year and how much writing and editing I will do, money I will save, sights I will see, pounds I will lose, classes I will take, lanugages I will learn, etc. But that's a lot more work and I honestly can't be bothered with it today. I haven't decided which thing to take on this year and there is progress to be made on all fronts.

Oh and have I mentioned yet how thrilled I am about Obama's Inauguration? Oh my god, I cried. I think I was the most emotional person standing in the lobby of our building where there is a big screen that played the whole thing. I'm so proud. I thought his speech was amazing. I'm moved to be a better citizen for Obama. What an amazing leader. He is just what we need. I couldn't be more pleased.

LOVE

No comments: