Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Progress on my quilt

These steps about my quilt I actually took last year. In December, 2010, I learned how to knit - also thanks to YouTube! But it has seriously sidetracked my whole life. All I've done is knit for the past 7.5 months. Well now I've made a baby blanket, a few scarves, a dish cloth, two wine bottle holders, a hat that I took apart as soon as it was finished, and I'm working on another dish cloth. The dish cloth project, much like my napkin project, was for me to learn how to read a pattern. Learning something by watching YouTube doesn't always translate to practical application when taking your new skills out for a test run and all you know is how to make the stitches but not how to read a pattern. So I'm doing good with that.

So now I'm ready to get back to learning about quilting. I'm very much a newbie. Here's a progress list.

I sketched out my inspirational poppies on a piece of graph paper.

















I started enlarging it at kinkos and taping it together. This was a fun activity because I had NO idea what I was doing and wasn't asking for any assistance with enlarging a copy of a poppy drawing.
















Here's another pic but with my measuring tape stretched across to give you scale.

















Now here is a picture of the final enlarged copy all taped together in a crazy way. Chris is holding this up for me so it's fairly large. Each of the squares of the grid in this version are exactly 2cm. I wanted them to be an inch each but they are not. The quilt, however, is going to be in one inch squares.

















So now my plan is to cut out fabric in one inch squares and sew the whole thing mosaic style where each of the squares corresponds to a piece of fabric.

I think my plan is brilliant. I'm hoping for clean, clear, problem-free execution.
LOVE & Poppies

No comments: