Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Resurrecting my Blog. Making a Quilt

So I've decided to make a quilt and document the experience. It's my first quilt. Well, I have to say "art quilt." My previous quilting experience includes a fence rail pattern sunflower quilt top that I have never actually quilted - just pieced the top using the fence rail method which is super easy. Google that if you're at all curious. I also made a little 10" square quilt with an appliqued flower on it. Chelsea drew a picture of a flower and I kept it, copied it, cut it out and made little pieces of fabric for each piece of the flower which I appliqued to another piece of fabric. Then I also made a little quilted cinch bag but my quilting turned out horribly and it wasn't until later that I realized I never dropped the feed dogs on my sewing machine.

So now, I have watched enough YouTube videos on quilting, read some instructional books, looked at all the important quilter's websites, been to the International Quilt Festival in Houston and it's time for me to begin.

Firstly, I snapped this pic with my phone at a doctors office waiting room last year in June when I was thinking about patterns and color and quilts. I don't know why it struck me but later I decided to use it as the inspiration for my first quilt. We'll see what I can do with it.

No comments: