Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Disc Golf Dating

Chris and I have been playing disc golf out in the parks nearby after work nearly every day since last Thursday after much unpacking the first week we moved in. I must say that the disc golf parks in this area are unbelievably beautiful, well kept, and easier than we're used to. Now, it's not like we're shooting under par or that we have somehow improved our game but going out to a course here in the Chi-burbs is very different than a round in Houston.

First of all, all the disc golf parks are fully outfitted with great signage, concrete tee pads, marked lengths of the course, marked mandos, marked baskets, etc. It's incredible! It's like Hoffman Estates Park District GETS IT! And what of the disc golfers who get to enjoy such luxury? Well, they are mostly all couples. They appear to be young folks out enjoying a park, maybe on a date, having a good time throwing frisbees. They do not appear competitive and they do not seem like they would fit in well at any disc golf event I've ever attended, helped to organize, or photographed. I'm saying, not to toot my own horn, but I could beat most of the guys out there playing. And I truly suck at disc golf. Anyone who has every played a round with me will agree with that statement. Hey, I recognize my weaknesses. I have strengths in other areas.

The courses we've played have been lovely though! Brilliant! It's like disc golf heaven. Imagine a well marked, well maintained course with elevation, water, trees, open holes, and ones with reeds taller than my head. Good variety. Now, imagine that it's only 85 degrees with the breeze blowing and NO mosquitoes. On Friday the high of the day will be 73 degrees! In Houston it will be 93. In Houston, I sweat my butt off trying to keep up with the guys throwing 300 ft on their tee-shot being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I've actually called a game due to too many mosquitoes before. I don't think it will be a problem here.

Another huge difference between the disc golf that I'm used to and the disc golf played here is in the number of discs the players use. We have not yet unpacked our disc golf bags so we are still using our travel ones. They are small and could potentially carry a total of eight discs if you stuffed it. However, I'm carrying five in mine; as is Chris. We have more discs than anyone else on the course! The most number of discs I've seen anyone else throwing is three. Most people have two or just one driver. No bag. Nothing to drink with them either. They are simply out for a stroll with a couple of discs and walking the park in a leisure way. I doubt they are even keeping score.

I will have another post about this Illinois disc golf phenomenon as we become more immersed in the community of disc golfers in the area. We have yet to meet any of them. That's the next step though.

LOVE

No comments: