Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Coldest August Day I Ever Knew

We have a missing box from our move. We started looking specifically for my husband's X-Men #1 comic book for Stan Lee to sign this weekend at Comic Con in Chicago. I knew I hadn't unpacked the comics and generally I am waiting to unpack all books until after we paint so that the shelves are easier to move.

So we started opening boxes labeled Master Bedroom Books. We opened them all and didn't see the books. We double checked all the boxes. We decided that it must be mislabeled and we looked at all boxes labeled Books. No comics. Yesterday I spent the entire day systematically going through the entire house and either unpacking or digging deep into the box to determine it's contents and then marking it with a large red X that there were no comics in those boxes. Starting with the front living room, then the dining room, then the den. No comics officially on the first floor. Second floor, Chelsea opened all her boxes of books and all of Colin's in his room. I finished the master bedroom and started on the garage. Lastly, Chelsea and I opened all the boxes in the basement. No comics. The only place left was the garage under the pile of empty boxes. This morning I collapsed enough boxes to know that there were no packed unopened boxes under the pile. Then I systematically organized all the boxes in the garage and went through every box again. No comics.

Other items on the same shelf as the comics are also all missing. These include all of Chris's rare, out-of-print, and author autographed books as well as a set of the Buddha anime books. Chris's James Bond books are not found and books written by Bond authors and signed by the authors. To say the least, it was the worst possible box of books to lose.

The weather today matched my mood. It was dreary and overcast and raining all day. When we left to pick Chris up at the train station today it was 64 degrees in the afternoon. Chelsea was wearing a jacket. She said that for the first time in her life her birthday will be chilly.

LOVE


No comments: